Brownfield Project Overview
The Northside Revitalization Brownfields Assessment Grant targets the area north of Old Town in Fort Collins and provides funds to conduct Environmental Site Assessments at properties with redevelopment potential. Grant funds will be used to conduct property assessments, develop cleanup strategies for impacted properties, and conduct public outreach about the benefits to the property owners and the community.
Participation in this project is an opportunity to gain more information about a site’s condition, which can directly affect decisions on property acquisition or cleanup strategy. The ability to quantify any environmental unknowns reduces the risk associated with the site and increases the property value while clearing the path for redevelopment.
Owners of property within the project area are encouraged to contact the City to learn more about the project and about opportunities to participate.
Brownfield Project Progression
What is a Brownfield?
A brownfield is a property affected by real or perceived environmental impact that may inhibit redevelopment.
What is Brownfields Revitalization?
Brownfields revitalization is the process of assessing property potentially impacted by previous commercial or industrial business practices, developing plans for cleanup (if needed), and reuse of the property that benefits the community.
Overall Project Goals:
- Protect and create opportunities to improve environmental quality
- Identify public health issues and support plans to eliminate them
- Enhance economic opportunity, remove economic barriers, promote property re-investment and support creation and retention of local jobs
- Encourage public-private partnerships and community collaborations
- Foster community engagement through community and stakeholder participation
- Encourage community revitalization through reuse of properties underutilized because of perception of or actual environmental impact
- Support redevelopment that enhances community character